If you aren’t already a SCUBA buff, you will be after taking the plunge on a ship diving excursion in Costa Rica. The name of …read more
“The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page.” – St. Augustine
Anyone who’s done a bit of traveling knows that every time we visit a new, distant place, we are somehow changed. Delving into different cultures, meeting the locals, seeing new sights and tasting new food expands how we see and think of the world, and we come away from those experiences with a greater understanding of and appreciation for our human family. When we travel, we not only learn about other people and other places, we also learn about ourselves. We discover our strengths and weaknesses, our preferences and intolerances, and we’re given the opportunity to grow as people. Travel experiences stay with us forever – the memories you make last a lifetime, and you share a special kind of connection with those who were with you on the trip. If you think about it, travel may be the one expense in life that actually makes you richer.
There are lots of reasons to travel more, but here are a few reasons that should get you thinking about packing your suitcase:
- Travel puts things in perspective. Life is busy and can be stressful, but oftentimes, if we stand back a bit, things tend to look different. The saying “don’t sweat the small stuff – and it’s all small stuff“ takes on new meaning when we travel. We slow down, breathe deeper and our perception starts to shift. It’s hard to feel anything but grateful when you’re surrounded by beauty, marveling at amazing architecture or strolling leisurely along a white sandy beach. Travel takes us to new places, but it also takes us out of our own heads.
- Travel ignites creativity and inspiration. Some of the world’s greatest artists, writers and philosophers are/were avid travelers, because new environments have a way of inspiring us. If you enjoy spending time in front of a canvas, make a point of putting pen to paper or practice any type of art form, a journey abroad can stir up new ideas for your work. Of course, you don’t have to be an artist to experience a creative surge while away. Travel is a great way to get inspired about life in general and a trigger for approaching everything in a fresh new way.
- Travel makes for great stories. How many interesting, funny or thrilling stories do you have from your day-to-day life? The very essence of travel is adventure, and excursions to foreign places are perfect fodder for wild tales of it. Even describing the views you experienced while abroad can make for an enthralling story, and of course, if you’re a thrill seeker, there’s no end to the possibilities you might take on. Mountaineering, scuba diving, zip-lining, paragliding, rafting – what’s your pleasure? Travel can take us out of our comfort zone in lots of adrenaline-inducing ways.
- Travel gets you out of your usual routine. If you find yourself buying coffee in the same place every day, walking the same streets, watching the same shows on TV and switching the lights out at the same time each night, it might be time to shake things up. Travel naturally gets you out of your standard daily routine and opens your eyes to the world around you. Every day is an adventure when you’re traveling, especially if you’re in a place you’ve never seen. There is something to discover around every corner and a world of new flavours and aromas to explore.
- Travel gives you friends around the world. Wherever you go, there’s always someone happy to meet you. Connecting with new people is one of the great benefits of traveling, and the longer you linger, the more likely it is you’ll make a few new friends. Talk to the locals but be sure to talk with other travelers too. You’ve already got something in common with them – a love for the location and an affinity for world exploration.
Destination M has extraordinary properties in some of the world’s most desirable locations, and nothing makes travel easier (or more comfortable) than having a beautiful place to call home while you’re away. As a member, you’ll have access to our portfolio of destination residences – and even greater incentive to get away.
While it’s justifiably famed for its fantastic beaches, Barbados is an island that has it all. Beyond the dreamy, white sand beaches, the city boasts …read more
London is one of the most diverse and exciting cities in the world, with a rich history, outstanding culture and vibrancy that’s hard to match. …read more